When you invest your time and finances into a luxe senior portrait experience, you shouldn’t leave your makeup to chance. You want to look your absolute BEST, and that is why I entail the expertise of professional hair and makeup artists to ensure that my seniors not only have an amazing experience, but also look utterly amazing.
I asked one of my most trusted colleagues, esthetician Lisa Burson (of Lisa Burson Makeup, Skin & Wax) to put together this list of her Top 10 Reasons to Use a Pro Makeup Artist.
- Traditional makeup is often not “seen” by the camera, meaning the high powered filters and lighting can make the skin look bare and unnaturally blanches out color from the face.
- A professional makeup artist is trained to read the light and aid the photographer by compensating for “temperature” of different lighting scenarios. Not everything can be fixed in post-production.
- Airbrush makeup is light and smooth, and it covers all imperfections. Airbrush foundation can cancel out a variety of issues that the camera will pick up in the digital image, such as redness, sun spots, dark eye circles, self tanning mishaps and even breakouts.
- Airbrush foundation comes through the airbrush in tiny dots called pixels. Yes, the same pixels that a camera reads . . . so it appears flawless in the images (no INSTAGRAM filters necessary)!
- Airbrush makeup is sweatproof and waterproof for up to 13 hours, which is perfect in our hot and humid climate. You can even leave your senior session and dance the night away in your gorgeous makeup.
- A trained, licensed makeup artist ensures that any skin issues or allergies will be taken into proper consideration. Your individual preferences for makeup style combined with professional beauty expertise will make sure you look your very best.
- Remember, there is a huge difference between “everyday makeup” and “camera-ready makeup” application, so leave it to the pros!
- The only “rule” of makeup is sanitation, and working with a licensed professional assures you that they are trained on client safety and sanitation procedures. She didn’t learn to do makeup on YouTube, y’all!
- Airbrush makeup is used for Bridal, Film, Television and Runway. It is the leader in the beauty industry for flawless application.
- A professional makeup artist will have credentials, a portfolio and excellent references to help you feel comfortable that this is the right makeup artist for you!
Having graduated the Aveda Institute in Esthetics, Lisa Burson has spent the last 11 years as a Skincare and Makeup expert. Currently she operates her own business in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, where she offers Traditional and Airbrush Makeup Artistry, as well as a full menu of Skincare and Waxing treatments designed to help you look your very best for any special occasion.
Working as a professional makeup artist for more than 15 years has afforded her the opportunity to work with a variety of cosmetic lines, including MAC, NARS, RMS Beauty, Ellis Faas, Jane Iredale, Vapour, Estee Lauder and more. Her background consist of Runway, Editorial, Television & Film, and of course, Bridal. Lisa continues to grow her knowledge and experience through continuing education; having been part of the backstage makeup team for Charleston Fashion Week for the past 9 years helps her stay current and relevant within the field of Makeup Artistry.
In her role as an Esthetics Instructor, she travels teaching skincare and makeup techniques, as well as mentoring technicians within the Beauty Industry. Holding current licensure for Esthetics and a Licensed Esthetics Instructor, she upholds all the standards set forth by the Board of Cosmetology to ensure her clients get the absolute best service.